It was considerably more fun this time because we planned ahead with enough provisions.
What a beautiful wilderness that surrounds that monument. It's one of the most magnificent places I've ever seen and truly lives up to its reputation as such. Everywhere you look your jaw drops at the views.
My plan was to arrive in the afternoon and drive over about 4 miles away from the campgrounds to THE SPOT at Maroon Lake to capture sunset. After setting up camp, we set out...even the winding drive to the lake on a nearly deserted one lane was spectacular and as we negotiated its curves, the anticipation grew.
Arriving at the Lake and walking over to set-up my tripod I was simultaneously awestruck with the overwhelming beauty everywhere, but very disappointed that despite my best efforts, I was not getting a good shot today. Everything was perfect...but the one thing every landscape photographer dreads...
...w i n d.
And lots of it. The lake was extremely choppy. I ended up shooting a few shots of a newlywed couple from Dallas...nice people!
...w i n d.
And lots of it. The lake was extremely choppy. I ended up shooting a few shots of a newlywed couple from Dallas...nice people!
Still, I felt so disappointed...but was handsomely rewarded the next dawn. I jumped up and scrambled out of the tent still wearing my plaid pajama pants with my gear to have another go. I decided to eschew the tripod this time and just hand-held my compositions. I felt like a kid in a candy store, the stillness of the lake like glass...the Moon, as if placed there just for me.
Magic Hour indeed.
I'm going back...soon.










1 comment:
great shots. happy birthday. give auggie a kiss from me
Post a Comment